TweakPC

Zurück   Computer Hardware Forum - TweakPC > TweakPC Community > Off Topic
Registrieren Hilfe Community Downloads

Antwort

LinkBack Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 30.10.2003, 14:42   #1 (permalink)
Stickstoff Junkie

Benutzerbild von Fabian

Fabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer Anblick

Standard Mac OS X ... OS für Antimodder

Naja,

ich wollte mal einfach was schreiben, oder besser gesagt kopieren, denn der Text kommt aus einer News von "The Inquirer". Sollte Ihr alle mal lesen ...

Zitat:
Apple - the OS of the Anti-Modder?

Column The Rocking Modder

By Wil Harris: Thursday 30 October 2003, 13:13
SO THERE'S ME, all excited on a Friday night. Am I going out clubbing? Off on a hot date? Nope, my local Apple store is open late for the release of the new version of FruitZilla's OSX, version 10.3 aka Panther.

What?? What?!! I can see the disbelief in your faces now. Apple??!! Well, yes. My laptop is a G4 Powerbook, acquired last year for its untouchable combination of looks, display, power and battery life, providing thin and sexy WiFi way before we saw the introduction of Sentry-no.

But with the release of OS10.3, the whole platform has matured a little, and, in the name of public education, I going to get all controversial and tell you all about my Mac and its new OS. Let's start with a the fundamentals - no, I'm not gay and no, I don't work in PR. You don't have to be gay to appreciate style - although, that said, looking at the rag-tag bunch that make up the UK's collection of IT journalists, I do wonder occasionally.

So apart from the thin, sexy widescreen display of my Powerbook, its 3hr battery life and Radeon Mobility graphics, the operating system is my favourite part of using a Mac.

World+dog will spend all day grumbling about The Vole, and how it writes useless operating systems, but few will ever actually put their money where their hard drive is and switch to something completely different. OSX is a world away from Windows, where style takes precedence over speed, usability over flexibility.

Yes, I'm a case modder, but this OS is the antithesis of case modding.

It's already stylish.

I used to spend hours skinning up Windows (that's applying different graphical styles to my OS, not getting high) to customize my machine, to make it personal to me. It's the same principal as case modding - when you spend so much time with something, you want it to reflect your personality. But with OSX, it's style for people without the time to do it themselves. It's like walking into War on Want* and just buying the outfit you see on the model - it's no-fuss style for those with no time.

And I love it. It has all those little touches that Windows could never hope to have, because Windows is simplied designed following a different ethos.

By moving my mouse to a 'Hot Corner' of the screen, my Mac will tile every available open window across my desktop, resizing on the fly, dimming the background, allowing me to spot the window I want and click it, which restores everything to its regular size and brings me the window I wanted.

When you have 15 MSN conversations, a couple of Word docs, a browser window and email open at the same time, it's a life-saver, and one of those features that you'll never fully appreciate until you use it.

I never have to bother fiddling with OSX. Modders notoriously like to tinker, to tweak, to eek out system performance. OSX doesn't really have many options for this, but concentrates on simplicity and functionality - I know that I could go and visit any one of my friends or colleagues and hook up to their printer within 10 seconds, without any additional software, or that any wireless network in range is merely a click away.

So the antithesis of case modding? Well, not quite. I started out by saying that modding was a reflection of ones personality. Well, so is my Mac - it says that I'm too busy to fock around with Windows all day, and too stylish to use some generic Wintel crap on the go. Couple that with a sexy lady stretched across my widescreen desktop, and I'm a happy man. Seriously, give it a try - you mind find your self coming across all fruity.

Flames on a postcard please. µ

* or Gap
Fabian ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 30.10.2003, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
Hardware Freak

Ce_Jäger wird schon bald berühmt werdenCe_Jäger wird schon bald berühmt werden

Standard

ich find dass kommt irgendwie zu negativ rüber...

... wenns halt nichts zu verbessern gibt... :P

C.
Ce_Jäger ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 30.10.2003, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
TzA
Overclocker

TzA befindet sich auf einem aufstrebenden Ast

Standard

Wenn es wirklich nichts zu verbessern gibt, dass ist das doch perfekt...
Computer sind doch eigentlich Arbeitsgeräte/Unterhaltungsmaschinen und nicht Spielzeug für unterbeschäftigte Bastler (nicht böse nehmen, ich zähle mich da dazu).
TzA ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 30.10.2003, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Stickstoff Junkie

Benutzerbild von Fabian

Fabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer AnblickFabian ist ein wunderbarer Anblick

Standard

Sicherlich gibt es auch bei Mac OS X etwas zu verbessern, aber es ist ein Meilenstein von Windows entfernt.
Man kann es kaum beschreiben, aber Mac OS X läuft einfach. Man hat kaum Treiberprobleme, da alles aus einer Hand kommt. Die Programme sehen einfach gut aus und lassen sich meist wirklich intuitiv bedienen. Alles arbeitet miteinander zusammen, einfach per Drag&Drop.
Fabian ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 30.10.2003, 18:16   #5 (permalink)
Hardware Freak

Benutzerbild von Live

Live sorgt für eine eindrucksvolle AtmosphäreLive sorgt für eine eindrucksvolle AtmosphäreLive sorgt für eine eindrucksvolle Atmosphäre

Standard

Jo, nen Taschenrechner stürzt ja auch nicht ab

Wenn MacOSX perfekt wäre hätte Apple aber sich selbst nen Ei ins Nest gelegt...
Live ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort

Stichworte
antimodder, mac