TweakPC

Zurück   Computer Hardware Forum - TweakPC > Games und Software > Games Talk allgemein

Antwort

LinkBack Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 31.08.2005, 17:35   #1 (permalink)
Neuling

walter_3_d befindet sich auf einem aufstrebenden Ast

Standard Great application for the X-Box

I just setup a Pluto Home system (smarthome + media server, plutohome.com, free open source). It’s really cool. It has a streaming movie server, music server, pvr. Plus it does home automation and controls a/v equipment too. There’s only 1 problem…

You designate 1 PC to be the server; they call it the core. It exposes a network boot image for any other PC in the house, so your PC becomes dual purpose—normal pc, or net boot and it’s a set top box. You control it with Bluetooth mobile phones or web pads. And all the set top boxes in the house work together. Your media even follows you as you move from room to room if you keep the phone on. The problem is I don’t have enough media pc’s for all the rooms in my house, and buying a full PC for each room is too expensive. Plus there’s no video cards for the PC that have component video output—which is the only way I can get HDTV into my tv.

The X-Box seems perfect as a media director. It’s a PC inside, right? So why couldn’t it boot like normal as an Xbox, or net boot as a pluto media director? Then it would be part of a whole house solution that did everything. I could even use the Xbox to turn on my sprinklers if I wanted, and do all sorts of stuff with it. Plus, since Pluto gives it a network boot image, space is no longer an issue—all the software could be stored on the main server. And the XBox has component video and it’s quiet and cheap.

Does anybody have an idea if it would be possible to use the XBox as a media director like that, doing a network boot? Then I could just buy a few of the XBox’s rather than having to buy regular PC’s.
walter_3_d ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 01.09.2005, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Cool Master
Gast

Standard AW: Great application for the X-Box

Hmmm... I would guess that it might be possible with Xbox 360 I'm not sure tough.
Alt 01.09.2005, 02:14   #3 (permalink)
Stickstoff Junkie

Qndre wird schon bald berühmt werden

Standard AW: Great application for the X-Box

The jacks where you put your game controllers in are controlled by an USB 1.1 root hub at 8 megabit per second datarate. You can theoretically plug in any hardware using an adapter. You can plug in a usb network controller, a keyboard, a mouse, just any USB device. Some people managed to run linux kernels on the X-Box.

X-Box uses a 733 MHz CPU of the 686 series, 64 MB of memory, a GeForce-3 graphics core supporting DirectX 7 (DX 8 also supported? Don't know.), DVD-Rom and of course a LAN-Controller @ 100 Mbit/sec.

Maybe these sites can help you:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_HDTV_HOWTO

Geändert von Qndre (01.09.2005 um 02:22 Uhr)
Qndre ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort

Stichworte
application, great, the, xbox